7/13/2007

Carmen

Several weeks ago, Jayden and I met Elizabeth, J's foster sister. They were together in Guatemala and both were dearly loved by Carmen. The reason we were able to meet is that both families received a letter from Carmen and we both contacted the agency to find out if other families had received a letter as well.

I was not surprised by the letter and sort of anticipated that Elizabeth's family would receive one too. I was right and gave the agency permission to give her family my contact info.

Just prior to visiting J in Guatemala, I learned that Carmen had breast cancer, had a double mastectomy and was recovering well, but that she needed chemotherapy. I helped with getting funds to Guatemala for her chemotherapy and treatment since I was traveling the next week. I was able to meet her and two of her children when they brought J to the hotel. I also was able to see her and spend time with other members of her family when I picked up J to come home. I know she loved him - she and her family wrote him beautiful letters. I said that I was praying that he would be home for Christmas and she said she was praying he would be able to stay for Christmas. She loved each of the kids in her care (we brought back a birthday card for one of "her kids" that was turning 13).

The letter we received said the cancer had returned. It took over six weeks for the letter to make it from Guatemala. Sometime between the letter being sent and trying to find ways to help Carmen passed. Carlos (was involved with J's adoption) said it best... she is with God now.

Carmen will be missed. She holds such a special place in the hearts of so many. She was a woman who loved her family and she loved those who were trusted to her care. She was loved and is missed.

2 comments:

deanna said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for you both!

Beth said...

How incredibly sad. I know she will hold a forever place in you and Jayden's hearts.